Secondary schools receive an additional £500 for each Year 7 student who did not achieve level 4 or better at Key Stage 2 in reading or Maths.
For the Academic Year 2014-15 our Academy Census registered that there were 33 students who were eligible for Catch-up funding. For these students the Academy received £16,500.
The Academy has high expectations for its students and the Catch-up funding enabled us to target the these Year 7 students with the following interventions in literacy and numeracy to allow improved access to the secondary curriculum:
- Improvement in speech and language skills
- Improvement in reading age scores, especially for students whose reading age is two years or more below their actual age
- Improvement in vocabulary skills
- Improvement in writing skills
- Raising self-esteem and self-confidence
- Support for students to close the gap in their progress compared to their peers
- Support students at risk of exclusion
- Positive partnership work with parents and carers
- Using additional staff to raise attainment in literacy and numeracy in Year 7.